The Big D and I have been working hard at coding an android app with Tacx Bushido support. The current state is that we have a working app (albeit with a few rough edges) that can simulate GPX courses. So it is with great pleasure that we release a preview (source code now up):
You will need:
– A Tacx Bushido Turbo Trainer and Headunit
– The app: http://cowboycoders.org/Cyclismo.apk
– ANT+ Radio Service: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dsi.ant.service.socket
– ANT+ USB Service and a USB host OTG cable (if you want to use a usb ant+ stick and your device isn’t listed on the ANT+ Radio Service page) : https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dsi.ant.usbservice&hl=en
It is worth pointing out that you can run this in VirtualBox on windows/max/linux using android x86 (android-x86.org). I use android-x86-4.0-RC2-eeepc.iso for testing.
You will need to enable:
– Settings -> Location services -> allow GPS satellites
– Settings -> Developer options -> Allow mock locations (this was the easiest way of plotting your position on the google map)
– Upload a gpx you want to simulate some where on your android device
– Start the app
– Press Record
– Choose simulation mode
– Choose the Course (GPX import will appear)
– Select the GPX you uploaded earlier (takes you back to course setup screen)
– Turn on the bushido headunit
– Press Go
– After a few seconds ‘start cycling’ will appear on the headunit display
– Start cycling!
– Connects to the Bushido Head unit only
– Exceptions not really handled at the moment (this means the app will force close (‘stop responding’). This will happen if you don’t have the required packages (see above) or some other incompatability.
– Only tested on Android 4.03 (so your milage may vary on earlier versions)
– Shows power,cadence, speed and heart rate (in the chart view)
– Route is shown on a google map
– Export ride as tcx (to process in other bits of software)
Feature requests welcome.
In other news, BerryS has reversed a few more nuggets of the Bushido Headunit protocol (see the wiki). We now know about long/medium button presses, the device serial and the user’s weight. Cheers BerryS!
NO WARRANTY – PLEASE REGARD AS EXPERIMENTAL
BECAUSE THE PROGRAM IS LICENSED FREE OF CHARGE, THERE IS NO WARRANTY
FOR THE PROGRAM, TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW. EXCEPT WHEN
OTHERWISE STATED IN WRITING THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND/OR OTHER PARTIES
PROVIDE THE PROGRAM “AS IS” WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESSED
OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF
MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. THE ENTIRE RISK AS
TO THE QUALITY AND PERFORMANCE OF THE PROGRAM IS WITH YOU. SHOULD THE
PROGRAM PROVE DEFECTIVE, YOU ASSUME THE COST OF ALL NECESSARY SERVICING,
REPAIR OR CORRECTION.